Pipo Derani: "Ford Chip Ganassi Racing has shown they can win Le Mans and also fight for race wins"


Pipo Derani is preparing for his first FIA World Endurance Championship race at Silverstone, England event this weekend with a full factory manufacturer team.

The 23 year-old will line up as part of the Ford Chip Ganassi Racing team together with teammates Harry Tincknell and Andy Priaulx for Silverstone, Spa and the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.

This weekend Derani returns to the venue of his first ever WEC race in 2015 where he started to make a name for himself in endurance racing. It has been a journey that has resulted in a rookie test with Toyota last autumn and also being selected by 2016 Le Mans LMGTE Pro champions – Ford.

“I am really looking forward to starting this next phase of my career with a manufacturer team,” said Derani. “Ford Chip Ganassi Racing has shown they can win Le Mans and also fight for race wins on both sides of the Atlantic. It will be a fascinating experience and I am super motivated to make the most out of it.”


“I tested the Ford GT in Spain last month and it is a fantastic car, “continued Derani. “I integrated very quickly and I feel like I can adapt and bring all my best capabilities to the team immediately. Harry and Andy are great professionals and proven winners to have as teammates. I can’t wait for Silverstone, it is a track I really enjoy.”

Derani will race the No.67 Ford GT for the initial races this season in a two car Ford Chip Ganassi Racing attack. The competition will be tough in 2017 as the opposition includes Aston Martin, Ferrari and Porsche in the toughest LMGTE Pro class line-up since the inception of the WEC in 2012.

“This is the toughest GT competition on earth and our rivals all have great packages,” said Derani. “However, we are determined to continue the excellent results gained by the Ford GT in its first season in 2016. The racing will be incredibly tight and I am really grateful to Ford Chip Ganassi Racing for giving me the opportunity to be part of such a fantastic car and team.”

Pipo is first in action this Friday with two Free Practice sessions at Silverstone. Another Free Practice and the all-important qualifying takes place on Saturday, while the 6 Hours of Silverstone is due to get underway at 12.00 local time on Easter Sunday.

Pipo Derani Press Release

Photos: Ford