Álex Riberas: "The ultimate goal of my career is to become World Champion"

           
By Victor Forner

Álex Riberas, is competing this year in Pirelli World Challenge, driving the #61 R.Ferri Motorsport-run Ferrari 488 GT3 after very successful seasons with Porsche in IMSA (GTD) and Porsche Supercup.

Earlier this year, he performed well with Ferrari customer team DH Racing in Asian Le Mans Series with a victory and a podium.


Riberas had the opportunity to test the Ferrari 488 GTE a few months ago in Vallelunga. The Spaniard was one of the four candidates selected by the Maranello-based brand to replace Gianmaria Bruni, who switched to Porsche.

Alessandro Pier Guidi was selected for by Ferrari for the final FIA WEC seat (at AF Corse), however Alex Riberas' skills and strong performances have convinced the Italians to promote him as a full Ferrari Competizione GT driver.

We recently caught up with Alex Riberas about his targets, the competition in both FIA WEC and IMSA and more.


Ferrari is very well represented in WEC, what do you think about the level of competition in GTE-Pro?

The level in GTE-Pro at the FIA WEC is in my opinion, together with GTLM, the highest level of Endurance GT racing. Ferrari has only World Class drivers there and I'm sure they will do a fantastic 2017 season.    

Many believe that GTLM, in which Risi Competizione and Ferrari are competing, is the best class in the IMSA series, do you agree with that?

I agree 100%. I love GTLM. It has always been my dream to race there because the level is extremely high and the fights are brutal. Factory drivers only, which makes it even more exclusive.


If you are asked to choose between FIA WEC and IMSA, in which series do you prefer to compete in?

IMSA. Just because I feel like at home whenever I'm in the USA and I love racing there.

After testing the Ferrari 488 GTE, how different is it compared to the Ferrari 488 GT3?

The car's base is basically the same. The main difference are the fact that you have no ABS so you have to be more precise with your braking. The tyres are confidential and that together with the extra aero gives you a much higher corner speed. So therefore the driving is smoother.


You always say that your objective is win the FIA WEC, you think that it could be true in a short period of time?

Exactly. The ultimate goal of my career is to become World Champion. I see myself racing there at some point but right now my racing career is focused towards the USA.

Photos: Ferrari