Risi Competizione's Toni Vilander confident after strong Rolex 24 qualifying


Risi Competizione debuted their  brand new Ferrari 488 GTE at Daytona yesterday (they skipped the annual Roar Before the Rolex24) and performed very well in the two practice sessions.

Later in GT Le Mans qualifying, the Houston based Ferrari squad was able to clinch a solid top-five in class and overall. Risi Competizione's ace Toni Vilander was delighted with the team's performances on Wednesday at Daytona and is aiming high for the twice around the clock Florida classic.

First of all we had a good two sessions on wet conditions. The amount of water for qualifying increased quite a bit. At the beginning of the session it was really difficult. I could go up to third and fourth gear on the straight lines and really be on the edge and I didn’t know when I was going to lose the car. 

Then they stopped the qualifying with a red-flag, so I thought there was probably a little less water. (Race Engineer) Rick (Mayer) informed me really well about how much time was left so I could pace myself and on the last lap I could improve the performance. But we would have needed another five to ten minutes to really cover it. 

The car felt good on the infield, but high speed still had some aquaplaning issues. We have had similar things in the past so there is some margin for improvement. 

I’m really happy the car is in one piece and we are going for the race start on Saturday. Tonight and tomorrow we will start rotating all four drivers and get into the real team effort and then start looking forward to the race.

Photos and quotes Risi Competizione