lundi 25 janvier 2016

Interview with Ferrari GT star Gianmaria Bruni


Gianmaria Bruni is one of the and fastest GT drivers worldwide. The Ferrari ace has won everything possible with the Maranello brand in GT racing. FIA World Endurance Championship, Le Mans Series, FIA GT Championship, GT Open, ALMS and of course Le Mans 24 Hours.

For the 2016 season "Gimmi" will compete again in the FIA WEC with AF Corse and the brand new Ferrari 488 GTE. The target will be a new GTE-Pro crown along with his new team-mate James Calado.

We recently had a chat with Gianmaria Bruni about his 2015 season in FIA WEC, the new Ferrari 488 GTE and more.


You had a mixed year in FIA WEC with great performances and bad luck too, tell us more about your 2015 season.

Yes it has been a very tough for us last season, we faced a lot of bad luck. If I look at all the races, I can definitely say that we could have won the championship if I could mention all the problems we had. In the end the result is a second place.

I feel having done my work properly and my performances were always consistent. I can not blame myself with “ I could have done better”, sometimes things are not as you expect to be. That said, I am really proud of all my team [AF Corse] as we worked really hard. It's a team sport, we win and we lose together.


How different is the new Ferrari 488 GTE compared to the all-conquering Ferrari 458 GT2?

This is a new era with different regulations. We [Ferrari] have the turbo engine and the car is really different [compared to the 458 Italia].

You will share the #51 AF Corse Ferrari with James Calado, what are your targets for 2016?

James Calado has been outstanding in the last couple of years [with Ferrari]. I think he is fast and much more mature given his young age. We want to win as many races as possible for us and for Ferrari, we clearly want to fight for the title.


How competitive is the GTE-Pro field in FIA WEC?

The GTE-Pro level of competition is very high, it was very close in the last two, three years. As a driver I can tell you there is a high pressure every race. All of the 6-hour events are fought, you can win or a lose a race for just a couple of seconds.

What do you think about IMSA GTLM level of competition?

It is also very competitive, the level is high with pure racing.


Who have won everything with Ferrari, what was your favourite title/race victory with Maranello?

My best race victory is Le Mans 2014. The victory in Sao Paulo in 2013 was great too with very close battles with our rivals in GTE-Pro class.

What is your favourite racing circuit?

Spa-Francorchamps and Le Mans, two unique racing circuits in the world.