Interview with Ford Chip Ganassi Racing driver Dirk Müller


Dirk Müller has recently joined the Ford full factory effort in the North American based IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. He will be behind the wheel of the brand new Ford GT racer.

The German ace has won everything in GT racing in America and Europe and will be eager to perform well with Chip Ganassi Racing in the premier GT class in the IMSA series.

We recently had a chat with Dirk Müller about the 2016 season with Ford and more.

You have recently joined new Ford GT full factory effort, what are your targets for the 2016 season with Chip Ganassi Racing?

I am really happy and honored to be part of the Ford Chip Ganassi Racing family now. I will be driving the #66 Ford GT together with Joey Hand and the season start comes soon. I am really excited and the whole team from Ford, Chip Ganassi Racing and Multimatic did a great job building and developing the Ford GT. I have been part of the testing program and its time to look forward and we wanna be extremely competitive.


Tell us more about the Ford GT race car?

The Ford GT is a very beautiful car. It has a lot of history behind it and I love driving the Ford GT with the eco boost turbo charged engine. Next year will be the 50 year celebration of the first Le Mans win with the Ford GT 40

How great is working again with Joey Hand with whom you won the ALMS GT title in 2011?

It is always great to work together with Joey. We come along really well and we have won a lot of races and the ALMS GT championship. For sure we are hungry for more success and at the same time we have two great team mates with Ryan and Richard and a fantastic team with Chip Ganassi Racing.


How competitive is the GT Le Mans field in the IMSA series?

Talking about the IWSC championship is just fantastic. The GT LM class is so competitive not only because of the brands, teams and drivers. We as a team will make it even more competitive. All the great team success and experience will definitely help achieving it.

What do you think about FIA WEC GTE-Pro competition?

If have followed the championship over the years and I will say it looks really strong from the outside, unfortunately I haven`t had the chance to race there.


You have won everything with BMW Motorsport, how great was working with the German brand?

I have to thank them for so many years of success and I will ever have them in mind. Now it is time for a new chapter and I am proud that I have joined such a successful team like Chip Ganassi Racing and Ford Performance.

What is your favourite racing circuit?

I really love the Nürburgring Nordschleife and Le Mans, so with these two track I have my european favorite one`s! In USA I like Road America, VIR, Watkins Glen and Laguna Seca, but I really like also the other tracks like Daytona, Sebring, Long Beach, Road Atlanta and COTA.