mardi 24 novembre 2015

Interview with Ferrari GT driver Matt Griffin


Matt Griffin is a true Ferrari globe-trotter, competing in many series and events accross the globe, the Irish driver is racing for the Maranello brand since many years with both GTE and GT3 machines.

In 2015 Matt Griffin performed very well in the European Le Mans Series and took the Pro-Am title in the Blancpain Endurance Series with Ferrari and AF Corse.

We recently had a chat with Matt Griffin about his performances in the ELMS, the Blancpain GT title and many more.


You had a great year in European Le Mans Series with AF Corse, tell us more about your 2015 season.

The European Le Mans series is a great championship. Like always Ferrari gave me a brilliant car and AF Corse did a fantastic job.  I Guess in the end finishing in 3rd position in the championship was not quite what we are looking for but I think I have to proud looking back as for the last 3 seasons I have arrived at the final race of the ELMS Championship fighting for the championship.

How competitive is the LM GTE field in the ELMS?

It is super competitive and I think 2015 has been the best year. There were six cars going into the final race with a mathematical chance of the championship and its the only championship I know where every car in the GTLM field has the strength to win every race.


You have been part of the big Ferrari GT team since many years, how great is working with Maranello?

Honestly for me it is a dream come true because I am a true Ferrari fan. I don’t think any other car brand exudes passion like Ferrari so be part of Ferrari and AF Corse is fantastic. Ferrari build great cars and AF Corse is an amazing team so as a driver bring in this situation give me the ability to perform at my limit all the time. I hope to stay with Ferrari and AF Corse for many years.

You won this year's Blancpain Endurance Series Pro-Am title with Ferrari and AF Corse, tell us more about that.

It was fantastic to win the championship. Blancpain endurance series is a very different championship to ELMS. With 60 car grids and all GT3 cars traffic management is very important. The reality is that we were strong in every race and Finished in the top 4 in all but the final round. As always I have to really thank AF Corse. Our car was rock solid and this particularly showed at the 24hrs of Spa where we finished 2nd and never ran outside the top 2.


What do you think about the new Ferrari 488 GTE?

The car looks absolutely fantastic, Obviously moving to turbo power will present some challenges but I think Ferrari are on top of that. I have not driven the car yet but am due for some testing in the coming weeks and I am really looking forward to that. The 458 GTE/GT3 was a fantastic car, so the 488 has a lot to live up to but I am excited at the prospect of the new turbo era.

What about a return to the FIA World Endurance Championship with Ferrari?

Obviously I would love that, but that decision would be down to AF Corse and Ferrari. For the most part I race where they put me and 2015 has been fantastic as I have raced in the Tudor Untied Sportscar Championship, GT Asia series, The international GT Open as well as the Blancpain Endurance Series and ELMS. So while for sure it would be great to be back in the WEC I am very happy with the championships I am doing.


What is your favourite racing circuit?

It is a difficult one as I have been lucky to race on some amazing tracks, Most drivers say Spa and for sure that is fantastic but for me I don’t have a favourite but my top 3 in no order would be Bathurst, Monza and Sebring all for different reasons.